We are taking a winter break Closing times of TU Braunschweig help save energy
Technische Universität Braunschweig is taking an extended winter break. From Friday, 23 December 2022, up to and including Sunday, 8 January 2023, all facilities and institutes will be closed. During this period, the telephone exchange and the post office will also be unstaffed. This time, the winter break for employees and facilities has been aligned with the students’ winter holidays to help save more energy by closing for a longer period.
Digital media remain accessible
The University Library will also be closed during this period. However, digital media will continue to be accessible without restrictions.
Extended winter break reduces energy consumption
To reduce our overall energy consumption, we are lowering the energy consumption of our 180 buildings during the winter break. Nevertheless, we also rely on your help. The buildings are only heated to a limited extent during the period mentioned. Against the background of the energy crisis, energy consumption can be reduced and energy costs lowered this way. In addition, we are making an extra contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The extension of the period during which the facilities are closed to a total of 17 days contributes to achieving TU Braunschweig’s energy savings target of 20 per cent.
Things you should do before the winter break
In order to achieve the savings target, especially in terms of electricity consumption, it is vital that all members of TU Braunschweig work together.
Please support the central savings by actively participating. You can make a decisive contribution by taking the following measures:
- Ensure that doors and windows are closed during the winter break and that the lights are switched off when leaving offices, seminar and lecture rooms, and buildings.
- To minimise the risk of mould and condensation, air the rooms for about 10 minutes before leaving them for the last time.
- Set the thermostats to 1 (corresponds to a room temperature of approx. 12 degrees Celsius).
- Open the blinds.
- Shut down computers completely and unplug power cables (e.g. in the case of electronic devices such as monitors and printers). Note the exception for leased Ricoh multi-purpose printers.
- Switch off under-table units such as hot water heaters in kitchens. This rule applies irrespective of closing times.
- Empty refrigerators in kitchens and switch them off. Leave the doors open; if necessary, defrost freezer compartments beforehand.
- Secure research facilities and laboratory equipment, and store research materials and hazardous substances safely.
- Given the duration over which the University is closed, please check for which equipment it may be worthwhile to achieve additional savings by switching it off. Note the technical specifications of the device in order to avoid damage to the equipment.
On 9 January, expect it to be very chilly in the premises when coming to work. Please do prepare for the fact that it may take some time to heat up the rooms to the required temperatures.
Thank you very much for your support.
We wish you a wonderful festive season and a Happy New Year. We look forward to seeing you again at Technische Universität Braunschweig on Monday, 9 January 2023.
Your Communication and Press Service Team